For Immediate Release
Date: November 12, 2020 9:00 AM
San Rafael Police Awarded $117,500.00 Grant From the OTS
San Rafael, CA - The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to the San Rafael Police Department. The $117,500.00 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in SRPD’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on city roads.
“These are trying times, and now more than ever, it is important that we are at the forefront of traffic safety,” Traffic Sergeant Justin Graham said, “This funding allows us to educate and enhance the safety of all residents.”
Chief of Police Diana Bishop said, “Traffic safety continues to be a priority for our department and for our community. This grant allows us to address all aspects of traffic safety more effectively.”
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2021.
The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
- Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug-impaired driving prevention.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
- Patrols with emphasis on education of traffic rights for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals, improper turning/lane changes.
- Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speed, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
“Through education and behavior changes, we hope to create an environment that is safe and equitable for all road users in our community,” Traffic Sergeant Justin Graham said.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
# # #
Posted: November 12, 2020 9:08 PST by Sergeant Justin Graham #494