Banner Image


The San Rafael Police Department needs YOU to help reduce speeding violations.   

SRPD continues to see numerous speeding violations and incidents.  

Click here for more...

San Rafael Police Department

San Rafael Police Department


With the help of our community, we have developed a list of some frequently asked questions.

Do you have a question that's not here? Click here to ask, and we'll add your question and our answer to the page.

Can't wait? Call us 24/7 at (415) 485-3000.

About the Police Department

Community Policing


How do I contact the police department?

If you have an emergency, please dial 911.  Our non-emergency phone number is (415) 485-3000.

For additional contact information, or to send a message directly to a member of our department, please click here to visit our contact page.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Where is the police department?

The San Rafael Police Department is located at the San Rafael Public Safety Center, 1375 Fifth Avenue.  The entrance to the police department is at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and D Street.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Crime Prevention

Online Reporting

Parking Services

Where can I pay a parking citation?

Parking Citation can be paid at 1400 Fifth Avenue, San Rafael or www.citationprocessingcenter.com

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |


Is there an email address for the Alarm Permits department in order to send a formal billing address update?

Yes, if you have an alarm permit on file, you may email Anita Rose, or call 415-(415) 485-3009 to update your billing information?.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Do I have to pay an alarm permit fee?

No, the only time you have to pay a fee is after your third false alarm which is $140.00

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Community Policing

Property and Evidence

What do I do if I find littered syringes (with or without needles)?

If you find any litter that is dangerous, and you are not comfortable disposing of it yourself, please contact the San Rafael Police Department at 415-485-3000.  Our officers are equipped to dispose of them properly.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

How do I get my property back?

If the property in question is evidence, the Marin County District Attorney’s Office must authorize its release. Otherwise, you must call the San Rafael Police Department at (415)-485-3000 to make an appointment to pick-up your property.   

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |


Do you charge for copies of report, and if so, what is the fee?

No, there is no charge for a copy of a report.?

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Can I come in after business hours to get a vehicle release if my stolen vehicle is located?

Yes. After business hours, you might experience a longer wait time due to the availability of staff but we will make sure you get your release if you plan on going to the other police department/tow yard for the recovery release. That way, your vehicle does not continue to accrue storage fees. 

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Where do I file a restraining order?

Restraining Orders can be filed at Civil Clerks Room 113 at Civic Center  Phone 415-473-6407 or www.marincourts.org for more information and forms can be downloaded.  Maybe also have marincourt link on our website.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

What do I need to get my ticket signed off?

If you need to have a ticket signed off, please come to the San Rafael Police Department at 1375 Fifth Ave, San Rafael, CA 94901. We will have an Officer or Records Clerk assist you with the sign-off. If your violation involves proof of financial liability, you must go to room C-10 on the court floor for the sign off. 

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

How do I seal my records?

You must contact the arresting agency for the Petition to Seal. Instructions are on the back of the form. The sealing of juvenile records is different from that of adults. Contact the Marin County Probation Department’s Juvenile Services Division at (415)499-6659 for more information regarding sealing your juvenile record(s).

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

How can I get a copy of a police report?

Records requests can be made online, or in person at the San Rafael Police Department.  Records requests take at least 10 business days to complete after the report has been received from the records department. Please note that it may take time for the report to reach our records department if the investigation is on-going, or if the officer has not yet completed the report.?

Click here to request a copy of a police report.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Red Light Camera

Do you have red light cameras?

The City of San Rafael no longer has red light cameras.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |




While cleaning my garage, I found a gun in my house that belonged to my deceased relative. Can I turn it into the police department in person?

Yes, although we ask that you keep it locked up in the trunk with the ammunition separated from the weapon. An officer will walk with you to your parked vehicle to take possession of the gun. If you do not know whether the gun is loaded or not, leave the gun where it is in the trunk and an officer will be able to assist you with that. Otherwise, another option is to request to have an officer come to your San Rafael address. 

Click here for more information about gun safety, and turning in unwanted guns/ammunition.

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Where can I get fingerprinted?

LIVESCAN is done at Marin County Sheriff's Office by appointment or you can find a location at this website https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations

| ↑ Back to Top | Ask A Question |

Ask a Question:

Email Address:

We are intending to answer generic frequently asked questions.

If you have a question regarding a specific incident,
please call the San Rafael Police Department at (415) 485-3000.